NORDIC PRATONE By Gufram
Pietro Derossi, Giorgio Ceretti, Riccardo Rosso
A unique and unconventional Chaise longue that has as yet found no ersatz, Pratone has become a reference parameter in the history of design. Included by Vitra Design Museum among the 100 masterpieces of the history of Design, it is an object "outside the box" which maintains its artisanal soul: as a matter of fact, each of the 42 long and soft blades of grass you can sink into is worked and finished by hand, just like the label Pratone, engraved on the base of each module. Its bright green and the softness of its blades of grass are achieved through painting with Guflac, the special and unique paint patented by Gufram that makes it possible to make polyurethane look like leather while maintaining its flexibility and softness.
Settee in soft polyurethane finished by hand with Guflac.
DID YOU KNOW
1. Designed in 1966 as an ironic reinterpretation of the traditional sitting room settees.
2. It is a unique type of seat that has as yet found no ersatz.
3. It is entirely assembled and finished by hand.
4. It is made of 42 soft blades of grass.
5. To make one Pratone 5 weeks are necessary.
6. To preserve its authenticity, the label “Pratone” is still engraved by hand.
7. It is on the cover of the catalogue of the epic exhibit Italy: The New Domestic Landscape at MoMA in New York in 1972.
8. It was on display in some of the most important museums of the world like the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago.
9. On the occasion of Gufram's 50th birthday Pratone froze, and so Nordic Pratone was born in a total white version.
The Iconical Collection presents those pieces that interpret and keep alive and throbbing the desecrating spirit of radical design. It's masterpieces of Italian design that have already gotten into the collective imagination, as well as new domestic sculptures that - language and identity-wise - show elective affinity with those products that are displayed in the most important museums in the world. These pieces of interior design - realised exclusively by hand - represent the magical encounter between art and design that is part of Gufram's DNA.