LA COVA By Gufram
This 1972 masterpiece by Gianni Ruffi and edited by Gufram in a limited edition is a veritable work of art on exhibit in many museums around the world.
La Cova is a place, a space where one can feel protected; it is the physical as well as the imaginary dimension of absolute relaxation. The entire structure, light and soft because it is entirely made of polyurethane, is upholstered with cloth on which thousands of felted fabric offcuts are hand sewn in a spiral path; for this reason each La Cova is different from another, and each one of them represents a world.
Love nest of soft polyurethane upholstered with hand sewn cloth offcuts.
Detachable eggs of soft polyurethane covered with cloth.
DID YOU KNOW
1. The original 1972 piece was auctioned for the record price of 100,000 Euros.
2. La Cova is not just a seat, a chaise long, or a daybed, but also a place.
3. It is a gigantic nest of soft polyurethane with a harmonically irregular, organic, and natural shape.
4. Each La Cova is different from another because the thousand pieces of cloth it is made of follow an ideal but never predefined pattern and are entirely hand-sewn.
5. La Cova is not just a Design object, but a work of art, because it was designed by Gianni Ruffi, a famous representative of Arte Povera.
6. It is rumoured that Serge Gainsbourg had one, one which he spent nights of folly...
7. It is on exhibit at the Musée des Beaux Arts in Montreal in Canada.
The Iconical Collection presents those pieces that interpret and keep alive and throbbing the desecrating spirit of radical design. It's masterpieces of Italian design that have already gotten into the collective imagination, as well as new domestic sculptures that - language and identity-wise - show elective affinity with those products that are displayed in the most important museums in the world. These pieces of interior design - realised exclusively by hand - represent the magical encounter between art and design that is part of Gufram's DNA.