MAgriTTA By Gufram
Wool, Polyurethane (PU)
MAgriTTA is a sculpture-armchair, homage to Surrealism.
The green apple and the black bowler hat, recurrent figurative elements in the works of René Magritte, are assembled by the visionary imagination of Sebastián Matta, who plays with the association – an apple in a hat? – and with dimensional estrangement. The ABS hat works as the structure while the apple, made of soft polyurethane foam and upholstered with elastic cloth, becomes a comfortable and soft seat.
Seat in soft polyurethane upholstered with bouclé wool.
DID YOU KNOW
1. The name MAgriTTA is a crasis of the surnames Matta and Magritte.
2. It is a clear homage to Surrealism and its creator, René Magritte.
3. The hat is a faithful reproduction of an English bowler hat.
4. It was on exhibit at MAMBO in Bologna and is part of the collection of the Kirkland Museum in Denver.
5. The colour of the apple and its cloth are still those chosen by Matta almost 50 years ago.
The Iconical Collection presents those pieces that interpret and keep alive and throbbing the desecrating spirit of radical design. It's masterpieces of Italian design that have already gotten into the collective imagination, as well as new domestic sculptures that - language and identity-wise - show elective affinity with those products that are displayed in the most important museums in the world. These pieces of interior design - realised exclusively by hand - represent the magical encounter between art and design that is part of Gufram's DNA.